Translate

Friday, September 5, 2014

[Second] Life 2.0 - A Documentary


I just finished a documentary on Second Life called Life 2.0... and honestly I'm a bit surprised. In my opinion, the documentary covered a lot of the darker things that happen in this game but hardly any of the good. With a game modeled after real life, of course there are going to be creepy people or people that make bad decisions. Those people are in real life too, aren't they?

Second Life to me is a beautiful place to explore and create. The boundaries aren't what you can come up with out of your own imagination but what you can design with the combined minds of others. There are places to learn, places to relax, places to meet new people and places to spend time with the people you've met.

I have been to virtual colleges and environmentalist communities, I've battled with pirates on the docks of unknown cities... I've even spent time with real life family, oceans away, that I wouldn't have been able to connect with if it hadn't been for Second Life.

I did enjoy some parts of the documentary when it came to the designer, Asri Falcone. Honestly the first thing that I thought when they started to show her real life house was, "Damn, she has a nice computer setup." - I wish I had three screens and an Asus PC!

It was also neat to see what Linden Labs actually looked like... or at least what it looked like in 2007. (I'm sure it's a lot bigger now)

I believe this documentary earned the three and a half stars that it got on Netflix. It was a decent enough documentary (Besides the skipping around and a few confusing scenes when it came to the stories) but it missed so much of what Second Life was really about. Maybe someone will make an updated documentary one day on what Second Life has grown too... an amazing community of people from all backgrounds, races and countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment